Umspannwerk.Ost (Transformer Station.East) and palisa.de

History

  • 1899/1900
    Constructed according to plans by Springmann.
  • 1900
    The Berliner Elektrizitätswerke AG (utility company) establishs an electric power transformer station at Palisadenstraße in Friedrichshain.
  • 1920s Expansion of the machine hall and the accumulator halls of the transformer station.
  • World War II
    Demolition of the extensions.
  • 1950s
    Construction of Stalinallee: Demolishing of the destroyed elements of the transformer station
  • Till the end of the 1980s
    Occupancy of the building by the VEB Stanzbleche Berlin (nationally-owned enterprise for punch plate production)
  • Till the end of the 1990s
    Production facility and office building of Begarat Anlagenbau GmbH (plant construction company)
  • 1999
    Low-energy standard for single monuments: reconstruction of the listed building as cultural and convention center, financed by funds of the European Union and the Berlin Senate Department for Urban Development, Environmental Protection and Technology.

Specifics:

  • Application of ecological building materials (e. g. cellulose insulation with loam rendering for the indoor insulation), low-temperature wall heating system with single room temperature control
  • Intelligent air conditioning technology with waste heat recovery and component cooling via geothermal cooling
  • Potable water substitution
  • Scientific monitoring, biennial evaluation of the actual energy consumption

April 2000 – Re-Opening of the premises:

  • Restaurant Umspannwerk.Ost (Transformer Station.East)
  • Musikclub Umspannwerk.Ost (Transformer Station.East)
  • Theater
  • Offices
  • Meeting and Convention Center palisa.de